March 15, 2007

You are coming to a sad realisation...

How much do we love the mac vs pc ads? Quite a bit. Unfortunately life doesn't come with the 'cancel or allow' function. There are days when it should.

Today I dragged myself off to the optometrist, having had a few too many headaches lately and noticing that things in the distance are fuzzier than they were. Diagnosis, yes, I am more blind than I was before. And am now shortsighted rather than slightly long sighted. New glasses required. Plus updated lenses in existing glasses because we still like them. All fine. I like glasses. And I found funky new hot pink frames (trust me, it works). But then the optometrist said "do you have prescription sunglasses?". Me "er, no." Optometrist "how do you drive?". Me "er, I'm not that bad, am I?" Optometrist "diplomatic silence" (or rather crack about wanting to know what suburb I live in so he can avoid it on bike rides...I'm taking that as optometrist hyperbole/humour).

Now prescription sunglasses aren't bad in theory but I lose my sunglasses with alarming regularity. Which is fine when they're the thirty dollar numbers from wherever. Less good if they're several hundred dollar prescription versions. Sigh. Plus my health insurance doesn't cover sunglasses...

I figure inside glasses come first because most of my time is spent inside typing away. Sunshine isn't causing my headaches. In fact, it's a very good book : )

At least it's the end of the day job week. Writing and ballet beckons. And hopefully the last gasp of summer heatwave is just about done.

2 comments:

Keziah Hill said...

Oh Mel, I feel your pain. Sunglasses are a major pain for me. Have you tried those Cancer Council big glasses you can put over your ordinary glasses? I bit daggy but better than swapping endlessly.

M.J. said...

I guess that's an interim solution for driving...someone needs to get onto the cancer council about making their sunnies stylish though : )