August 23, 2009

Grrr. And possibly argh.

I have returned from my travels, which were lovely and relaxing. However have also returned with a touch of a cold. Hopefully it won't be much more than a touch as I have been downing echinacea and various vitamins all through the conference and travelling in an attempt to avoid exactly this.

Any way, being slightly coldish, I decided that a lazy Sunday might be in order but that I also needed some groceries. So toddled off to the shopping centre to achieve groceries. Given said shopping centre has several electronics type stores, I decided to look into acquiring a new cheapass TV to replace my currently on its last legs dvd playing bedroom TV. Turns out this is not so simple. The net effect of all this plasma and LCD craze in TVs seems to be that TVs are more now expensive, even the little ones. And I don't want to pay "you-want-how-much" for a TV just to play dvds in my bedroom. But I eventually found a cheap smallish CRT TV at Dick Smith and carted it home. Then there was a suitable pause while I did the "I think I need to sit down now as I am sick and just did a bit too much" thing on the couch. Then I had the cunning plan to set up the new TV so I could maybe have a really lazy Sunday afternoon reading and watching DVDs and napping in bed.

So I lug the thing into the bedroom, disconnect and lug the old one out, connect the new one up, apply power and um, nothing happened. Zip. Good old electrickery does not seem to do much for this TV at all. (I will add as a side bar that the darn thing has no buttons on the TV, you have to use the remote!!!) Not even a little standby light anywhere. I'm half wondering if the battery for the remote is dead (and of course it's some fancy little round lithium thing so hardly have one on hand) but the lack of any sort of standby light is leaning me towards "this is an ex-TV". And the power point is working cos the old TV worked fine and the DVD works fine.So now it looks like I have to lug it back to the store. Where words will be had if they don't produce another one tout suite.

Only I really can't be fagged doing that today so I think for now I shall just apply my head to the desk and then lie on the couch instead.

No comments: